NDEF (NFC) for Windows 8

Jul 24, 2013 at 8:06 AM
Can i use NDEF (NFC) library for Windows 8 (not Windows phone 8) ? It's on tablet.

thx.
Coordinator
Jul 24, 2013 at 3:13 PM
Yes, the NDEF library is a portable class library, and as such the same lib file can be included into a WP8 and Win8 project.
Jul 25, 2013 at 7:46 AM
thx for reply mopius. Can i use this from java?
Coordinator
Jul 27, 2013 at 9:02 AM
Well, the NDEF library is C# lib, so you can easily use it from any .net project. There are ways to use it from Java as well, but in that case, I guess it would be easier to just use a Java-based NDEF library like: http://code.google.com/p/ndef-tools-for-android/
Jul 29, 2013 at 7:21 AM
Thx for reply mopius. Result is - i can use .net library for .net project or other for java - android? I need java library for windows 8 (not phone 8), but i cano't find anything.
Coordinator
Jul 29, 2013 at 10:23 AM
I don't have experience with using .net libraries in Java - seems to be possible, but a bit of work. As such, you should be able to take parts of the Java / Android library that I mentioned and just rewrite it so that the Android-specific parts are removed; this will leave a library very similar to this NDEF library. Alternatively, porting this C# library to Java should be doable in a very short time given the similarity of the languages; possibly a lot shorter than trying to access a .net lib from Java.

Note that both this C# NDEF library as well as the Java/Android library that I mentioned are NDEF libs, not general NFC hardware interface libraries. As such, they help you formatting your NDEF messages, but the actual NFC functionality to interact with tags needs to come from the platform.